Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I Don't Know Who To Root For In The Super Bowl


I have a conundrum with this year's Super Bowl; I have no idea who to root for.

I was fortunate this year to see an abundance of teams that I like make the playoffs. For the first time in a long time, the Steelers, Ravens, Jets and Giants all missed the playoffs.

The Patriots made it to Championship Sunday again (yawn), NaFoleseon Dynamite  took over for Mike Vick and the Eagles made a run into the postseason, former Eagles coach Andy Reid brought the Chiefs back from the abyss for at least a season, and even the Chargers were hard not to root for. Obviously there were the 49ers, Saints and Colts too, all of whom I like.

My least favorite teams in the playoffs this season were probably the Panthers and Bengals, but it's not even like I don't those teams.

So no matter what, I was going to have two teams I support at least a little bit make the Super Bowl. That's something that hasn't happened since the Pats beat the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX.

So that brings me to this Sunday. Seahawks vs. Broncos. I have yet to figure out who I should root for, with both teams have appealing characteristics.

I will now state my cases for each team.


Case for the Seahawks:

Ever since the days of Shawn Alexander and Matt hasselbeck, I have been fond of the Seahawks. Now that they have guys like Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson, they are one of the most fun teams to watch in all of sports. Seattle also has something that is far more entertaining than a high-powered offense, but a suffocating and relentless defense.

They hit hard, they run hard, and Wilson is the best quarterback in the league who doesn't have a Super Bowl Ring (you heard me).

They truly embody what a good NFL team should be. They don't need to score 35 points every game to win.

They are a great football team in every sense of the word, and they truly deserve to be in the position that they are in.

Like many of you, I'm not much of a Pete Carroll fan, but I honestly often forget that he is even the coach.

Also, Derrick Coleman's story is a fantastic one. It's impossible not to pull for that guy.


Case for the Broncos:

In a word, Peyton Manning.

My fellow Patriots fans can say what they want, but I love Peyton Manning. Any person who has even the slightest interest in the game of football should love Peyton.

He plays like the game like nobody we've ever seen, and he does so without being a smug a-hole like so many other great athletes.

I've never particularly been a Broncos fan at any point in my life, although I do like their stadium (lots of long field goals have been kicked there). I'm more rooting for Peyton than anything else, although Champ Bailey is a guy who definitely deserves a ring.

I am taking a historical approach to the game this year, mainly because of the fact that Peyton's little brother has more Super Bowl rings than he does. Thirty years from now, when we're looking back at the history of the league, do we really want to see Eli Manning with more rings than Peyton? Hell no.

For the record, I don't care if Peyton finishes with the same amount of rings as Tom Brady. They're two of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time, and they both deserve their share of Super Bowl wins.


So those are the factors at play for me on Sunday. I'm not interested in the Richard Sherman narratives or Pete Carroll or Wes Welker or any of that. It's going to be a terrific game, and it even looks like the weather is going be decent in New Jersey come game day.

And all told, I'll probably root for the team who the people at my Super Bowl party are rooting against. 

Enjoy the game everybody!

P.S. Has anybody delivered a better Media Day performance than Marshawn Lynch did yesterday?


It should also be noted that I predicted Championship Sunday perfectly.


No comments:

Post a Comment